Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

This is Mother's Day weekend. This blog is dedicated to just that...I love my mother so much. Growing up, I never doubted her love for me....and I always dreamed of being the kind of mom she was to me to my own children. She came to all the school parties and functions. She got excited about events happening to me as I grew. I remember one time being initiated into the FHA...and she knew about it...and kept it a secret from me. When the girls came knocking and running in my room at 5:30 a.m. to get me up for school...she was right behind them taking pictures!! We used to make "wacky cake" on Sunday afternoons. She used to sit outside for hours in summer watching my brother and I play. She was the mom that took my friends and I to walmart, to VBS, to the pool in town, or simply go pick them to bring them back to our house to play. As I grew, we were close. She would write letters to me when I went to college. She and I would talk for hours on the phone when I got my first real job as a teacher in Gentry, AR. Then after Kevin and I got married, we still spent time talking on the phone...daily!!! She came to the hospital in the middle of the night when I went in to have Ryan. Big deal, cause we lived in Gentry...she in Claremore. That's about a 2 1/2 hour drive.....at 1 a.m. She came and stayed for a few days after I got home from the hospital with Ryan. When we moved back to Claremore...we still stayed close. I suppose since we've lived here...I've taken the closeness for granted....b/c we don't talk everyday now. As I ponder Mother's Day from the perspective of the child...I need to make a better effort to keep the closeness real for me and for her.

My own children remind me daily of how much they love me. The hugs, kisses, gestures of love keep me so filled of the Mother's Day spirit. It's alive everyday...not just one day out of the year that is on the calendar. I thank God daily that I am a Mom. There is so much joy, contentment, and Love in being a mother. I'm truly blessed!!!

No comments: