Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Red Ribbon Week

This has been a crazy week. My principal has been gone for 3 days...personal stuff. I have a high needs child in my class that has completely lost all self control and of course I have to take him to "Big Guy". "Big Guy" is my school daddy. He's one person that totally has my utmost respect. He's sarcastic to a fault...but truly has a heart for our tiny school. If he ever knew that I was writing about him...he'd probably flip out. Oh well....Here goes....Yesterday, since my principal was absent, I had to take this kid to see "BG". It's probably been 3 years since I've taken a behavior issue to him...so I was reminded quickly what I'd been missing. He's yelling, slamming his fist on the desk, etc...called the parent and told this kid "your mama wants to talk to you." This kiddo doesn't speak when he's handed the phone....and so I mouthed to him "Say Hello." This kid finally said "Beep....you may start talking now" to his mom. I thought "BG" was going to climb over the desk and get this kid....and all I could do was look away because I was laughing (on the inside of course).

Anyway...that is just one of many incidents that has happened this week...and it's only Wednesday. I found out that this one teacher that teaches Special Ed in the afternoons/ PK in the a.m. is dropping the Sped and only teaching half days now in the morning. It doesn't really affect me, except most of the kids she has in her p.m. class are in my class. That was "rocking my world" yesterday.

Always on Red Ribbon Week we get to have theme dress days. So...guess what?? That's our ticket to wear JEANS!!! It doesn't matter if it's cowboy day, twin day, inside out day...everyday is JEANS day. And guess what?? Nobody says anything!!! I think it's kinda funny that something as trivial as attire really puts a teacher in a fun mood!! Seriously....does it really matter if I wear Nikes or Mary Jane's?? Does it impact the learning of the child to any degree if I wear something comfy or something dressy? Sure, I like to dress up...but I'd really rather do it when I feel like it rather than only on Fridays!!!!

Well...tomorrow night is another Basketball game....so until later!!!

2 comments:

mindy said...

I miss big guy! I think of him often...the things he would do like drive a bus or change a lightbulb...that is NOT done by admin around here. I even miss the sarcasm. Will you tell him I said hello?

He broke a paddle on a kid my first year. We don't paddle around here either. We should. But we do have phones in our classrooms so I have had many a kid make a phone call to their momma. That is quite effective!

Lori said...

Love the new blog!!!! See you at the b-ball game tonight!