Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sick days and such

Today I'm taking a sick day. My only son, Ryan, woke up with a fever yesterday and wouldn't you know it...Kevin was off so I could go to work and get on with the day. I guess the guys fared pretty good yesterday. The girls and I had to go to Oaks, OK for a basketball game right after school. Man...Oaks is pretty darn close to Arkansas!!! Good thing we only do that trip once a season!! Christen played hard the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I love watching her play. Anyway...when I got home last night, I found out that G-pa Lane (aka Dr. Lane :) diagnosed Ryan with some sort of something that requires antibiotics. So, like a responsible mom, I decided to take a sick day today because as all moms know...children MUST be on antibiotics for at least 24 hours before returning to school. So here I am....

Let's review the past 2 weeks: Last week when I was thrown into the whole routine of going to school, working out, going to b-ball games nearly every night, trying to keep up my tidy house and feeding my family healthy home-cooked meals....I pretty much wore myself thin. I crashed hard on Friday night!!! My successes were obvious....I did work out 5 out of 7 days (2 of those workouts happened at 4:45 a.m.) and our budget wasn't completely blown by eating out. This week...well it's only Tuesday and I'm feeling pretty proud again. I did go to the gym yesterday and today at the early hour of 4:45 a.m.

Taking care of sick teens is a bit different than taking care of sick babies. I miss the days of holding my babies and rocking them to sleep. I miss that part of "the old days". I do enjoy them being able to tell me what hurts and how they feel. That's so much more relieving than guessing what it is that's hurting a sick baby. My children will always be my babies...no matter how old they get or how independent they think they are. I miss their babyhood....but I truly cherish every phase of their growing up years. I love listening to them talk like a grown-up, I love listening to the girls when they play with each other, and I love "eaves-dropping" on their conversations with their friends...not just because I'm a nosy mom....but it brings back memories of my own childhood and the conversations I had with my friends.

I have no idea how far I got into left field with this post...I suppose it should be titled "Rambling". Any-who....I do love my children....sometimes I wish I could have one more baby and sometimes I wish I could re-live some of my favorite parts of being a mommy. But...I guess the best part is truly to come.....you think?? I have to wonder sometimes...how could it get any better??

No comments: